Go back to the front page of wadny.com wadny.com by qid

— this is where I’d put my random quote… IF I HAD ONE!

Still to do:


Good thing I have a hammer to deal with all these nails

What HTML actually is:

<main>
  <section>
    <h2>Heading</h2>
    <p>Content</p>
    <figure>
      <blockquote cite="reference">
        <p>A quote from somewhere</p>
      </blockquote>
      <figcaption>- <cite>Somewhere</cite></figcaption>
    </figure>
  </section>
</main>
<nav>
  <ul>
    <li><a href="page1">A page</a></li>
    <li><a href="page2" rel="external">Another page</a></li>
  </ul>
</nav>

What React component developers think it is:

<div class="main">
  <div class="section">
    <div class="heading level-2">Heading</div>
    <div class="paragraph">Content</div>
    <div class="figure">
      <div class="quotation">A quote from somewhere</div>
      <div class="caption">- Somewhere</div>
    </div>
  </div>
</div>
<div class="menu">
  <div class="menu-item"><a href="page1">A page</a></li>
  <div class="menu-item"><a href="page2" class="external">Another page</a></li>
</div>

The Cloud

It’s always fun when AWS is having an outage.

Old man yells at cloud

Weekend Update

It may not be obvious, but I’ve actually done a lot of work and made a lot of progress on the site over the weekend.

First, there’s actually some new content. Original Wadny band member Dick Hull provided the story behind the name―which used to be hosted on his website, but went offline when he switched ISP a while ago―as well as a few additional pictures. I also brought my blogroll and the colophon up to date, although I should do a deeper dive on how the site is built and deployed.

Second, I made a few more tweaks to the layout and design. This was mostly detail work to a few pictures, but the most visible change was making the seasonal header/navigation theme change happen automatically in JavaScript. It will need a little more work in the future because I don’t have pictures and colors picked out for summer and fall, but we’re a while away from that at the moment.

Finally, I went back over basically all of the content pages on the site, including all the old news posts, and converted most of the source material from HTML to Markdown (technically Kramdown, which is the Markdown variant used by Jekyll, which is the tool that powers this site). That may have been a little overkill, but it made it easier to read and maintain the code behind the site, gave me a chance to proofread and correct some typos and bugs, and provided a few improvements. For an example, the old post on comment sanitization now has syntax highlighting in the code samples. More importantly, all the links to different parts of this site now use link tags in Jekyll which get validated when the site builds, so I can ensure I don’t break links going forward.

Some of this was pretty tedious, but hopefully most of the tinkering is done now, and I can feel comfortable using the site as an outlet for ideas again when they strike me instead of feeling like I have to fix the site first.


Mobilization

For probably the first time in its history (mostly because its active history predates the mobile web), wadny.com now has a usable mobile design. It’s not very exciting—the normal menu just gets overlaid on top of the content, and there’s a button to toggle it—but it works. It also has the convenient side effect of solving some layout issues that happened in a narrow window at high zoom levels, because it just automatically transitions to the mobile layout once the space becomes sufficiently cramped.

There’s still some work to do (as noted at the top of the index page), but the site should hopefully now be usable for everyone, regardless of how you browse the web.


Stirring at the surface

It may not be the splashiest website resurrection ever (it may even be thoroughly mediocre), but at least things are back on the air now. I even had a great idea for a real actual post! Then I forgot it. Maybe it will come back to me.

In the meantime, I ditched the over-engineered AWS scheme I had planned and switched to Cloudflare Pages, which may not be quite as infrastructure-as-code-y, but was considerably simpler to set up. I’m not quite sure I like that Cloudflare is running the build now instead of a GitHub Action, but at least it works.

I’m also playing around with some of the source and converting some pages from HTML to Markdown to make them easier to edit in the future, and using Jekyll’s link tag to help maintain at least internal referential integrity. I don’t think I have the stamina to go back and fix every broken link (I don’t even know how many there are), but at least a few of them are fixed now. Hat tip to Jeffrey Zeldman for having blog posts from 2004 that still have the same URL. I also changed the front page to show the full post contents instead of just excerpts; I realized it was not at all obvious that there was more content to look at for longer posts, and even a page full of long posts is not overwhelming enough to bother truncating them anyway.

There’s still some cleanup to do and improvements to make, and it remains to be seen how much I have to write about in the first place, but it’s finally in production.


Stirring beneath the surface

Things are happening


</vacation>

So, I got back on monday. QuakeCon kicked ass, people have posted pictures. I took a few but haven’t uploaded them yet. I’ve been pretty tired lately, and only today finally got around to looking at my blogroll, and I haven’t been very interested in it. Maybe after working on web stuff all summer, I’ve exhausted my interest in it for now. Look for at least several more days of silence here, and maybe I’ll get back into posting.